I read in one of the blogs I follow that those who are heavily reliant on eye-liner should try going a week without it. My relationship with eye-liner is as follows. As a younger girl I was really offended by the thought of makeup. I didn't wear ANY because I thought it made me look way too girly. I felt similarly about purses, but got over that super quickly. When my mom would make me put makeup on for special occasions (bat mitzvah, family photos...and don't even get me started on the stage makeup I had to wear for my dance recitals--red lipstick, false lashes??) I would throw a FIT! Screaming and crying and pouting and stomping. When I got invited to my first school dance at 17 years old (maybe I should have been putting 2 and 2 together) my mom refused to let me go looking plain Jane. Looking back, she was so clearly embarrassed of me. Anyway, she took me to the MAC counter at the mall (because nothing says subtle entry into the world of makeup like MAC) and this woman worked some hardcore smokey eye magic. Soon after, I had my first boyfriend. The lesson I was learning could not have been more obvious if it had poked me in my un-made eye. Ever since then, I haven't really gone out of the house without it. I mean I've gone days without wearing makeup, but I've never felt very comfortable in my own face, so to speak, unless I have eyeliner. Even if I have nothing else on my face (which is often the case) the liner lives on!
Anyway, back to this test. A week without eyeliner? This morning I stowed my revlon crayon away, put on mascara, blush and chapstick and left for work. So far, so good. Got to the office, went about most of my day. Still strong. I went to lunch, ran some errands, came back to work, uploaded some pictures from earlier in the day....annnnnd put that eye-liner right back on. I made it through a little more than half my day before complete and utter failure. Pretty huge step for me, really really really small step for mankind.
No comments:
Post a Comment